Wednesday 6 December 2017

Advent Day 7 - Birmingham Minimialism

In theory I am native Brummie. I say in theory, I was brought up in Sutton Coldfield, which despite being now part of city of Birmingham, has never truly accepted its role as part of the England's self designated second city.

However despite my reticence of being categorized as Brummie, it is still the city I know best and I still have deep roots with it.

So I often find excuses to go and visit and Verity Milligan's exhibition  in Birmingham's jewellery quarter was just the impetus I needed. I also have a connection with this part of Birmingham as both our wedding and my wife's engagement ring were bought in the area (The shop still stands). It was also not hard to persuade my daughter to some with us, when they heard the word jewellery..

The plan was to visit the  jewellery museum (which is excellent) and then wonder around looking as bling that I could neither afford or aspire to. I also thought I could take some photos of the area.

Unfortunately the weather intervened and by the time we came out, it was grey and drizzling. However I always think in these situations that part of your education as a photographer is to make the best of all conditions, so I persevered.

These are the 2 photos that I came out with. The 1st one was a tree reflected in the pavement rain. What I like about it is its minimalism, something  I have been trying hard to master, In some ways it is simple, but the fact the tree is upside down means it catches the viewers attention (I think!)



The 2nd image is a reflection taken in an empty shop. I love the juxtaposition between the chair and the view of Hockley caught in the reflection. It is as if the chair is both in and outside the world.




































These are images which are difficult to categorize. Are they good or is it pseudo intellectual rubbish. In the end it is not important. What is important is that they are images that please and intrigue me. If others feel the same way, all the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment